Ep. 26: Tucker Max On Book Publishing Realities, Quitting As CEO & Outperforming
On this episode of Outperform, Bob Glazer chats with NYT bestselling author and Book In A Box co-founder, Tucker Max about why and how he and Zach Obront decided to start Book In A Box, what the traditional publishing industry is really like, why he decided to step down as CEO of Book In A Box and why he’s passionate about his new role within the company.
- The book that got Tucker Max on the New York Times bestseller list for the 4thtime
- The inspiration behind why Tucker and Zach Obront started Book In A Box
- Some incredibly influential people who never wrote a book
- The very first book Book In A Box helped published
- Impressive business results their first author realized from publishing her book through Book In A Box
- The difference between professional writers and people who own a company and want to author a book
- Why a book is so valuable to people who have a business
- How many copies of a book people typically must sell to hit bestseller lists
- What it really means to get a publishing “deal” and the only way to get it
- What traditional publishers expect of authors
- How you can tell how much a publisher believes in your book by who they hire to design the cover
- The realities of getting on the New York Times bestseller list
- The one and only thing Tucker liked about being a CEO
- What Tucker disliked about being CEO
- How his meeting with JT McCormick evolved into him becoming Book In A Box’s new CEO
- Tucker’s new role at Book In A Box now that he’s stepped down as CEO
- New products/services that Book In A Box is rolling out
- The core values of Book In a Box and why they’re public
- Specific questions Tucker’s asked himself over the past few months to grow as a person, find his passions and outperform
Links from the Episode
We hope you enjoyed this Outperform podcast episode. If you did, we’d greatly appreciate you rating and/or reviewing it on iTunes. You can also subscribe so you don’t miss an episode!
How Can We Help You?
Complete the form below and we'll be in touch.