Recovering Organic Search Traffic After A Site Migration
Site Migration & SEO Case Study
Our client, a leading online supplier of fly fishing gear, migrated to a new CMS and experienced a large drop in search traffic. Organic visits fell 36% and the number of keywords ranking in Google fell from 625 to 265. During the crucial holiday period, organic visits were down 40% compared to the previous year. The client reached out to Acceleration Partners for help recovering their traffic.
Strategy & Approach
After performing a technical SEO audit, we crafted a redirect plan that made sure none of the old site’s authority got lost as a result of the migration. We also made sure the new site was properly optimized. Here are some of the things we did:
- Overhauled the site’s URL structure so it was more user-friendly and optimized for search engines, including shorter, flatter URLs, descriptive, keyword-rich URL paths, and the removal of unnecessary strings.
- Recommended a number of technical SEO improvements to the current website.
- Discovered large amounts of duplicate content from the old site and redirected this to the new pages as well.
- Created a new set of redirect rules that properly redirected the old site’s URLs to the new site without causing negative changes to page load times.
- Wrote new optimized titles and meta descriptions for category pages and other top organic landing pages.
- Recommended optimized page title templates for all individual product pages.
The site experienced an almost immediate recovery, before our engagement was even over.
- The number of keywords ranking in Google increased 277%, from 236 to 653.
- Organic search traffic was up 18% in March compared to January.
- Organic search traffic was up 71% in March compared to November, the month of
- The number of organic landing pages grew from 1,406 in January to 2,461 in March.
- Organic transactions were up 82% in March compared to November.
- Organic revenue was up 66.5% in March compared to November.
How Can We Help You?
Complete the form below and we'll be in touch.